<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Monday, April 05, 2004

Movie Review 20
Dogville (Rating: 5)

Interestingly, the movie is filmed on a huge stage, where houses, streets, and even dog are not physically existing, but written by white chalk. Therefore, people are basically acting by pretending as if there were some buildings and doors. I knew this is that kind of movie, but I was kind of bored until Nicole Kidman showed up on stage. (One audience couldn't wait for Nic, and left, murmuring "I can't stand this..." Eventually, it turned out to be a great story although I have seen critics' reviews were clearly divided.

Grace (Nic), who has run away from gangsters, arrives to a small town called Dogville. Thomas Edison Jr. (nothing to do with the real, I suppose) is convincing Doggie people to hide her. She starts to work for them in exchange for the shelter, and gets befriending them and kids. However, after a cop comes to the Dog to search Nic, people are changing. The ending is surreally surprise!

All the actresses and actors are impossibly great. Since it's almost like a play, their acting were essential for the movie and indeed made it. Especially, Nicole and Paul Bettany (Tom Edison) were superb. The only sad thing is their way of treating Nicole. At one point, I found it too much, which reminds me of Talk to Her. Having said that, while I can never accept Talk to Her, Doggie is much more like classic novel.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?