<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Sunday, May 16, 2004

Today's (5/16) Meet the Press featured Colin Powell, followed by Sen. Joe Biden and Sen. John McCain. It turned out like Saturday Night Live, where McCain hosted last year.

(First, interview with PowPow (who was in Jordan, interviewed against background of ocean & palm trees))

Russert: Finally, Mr. Secretary, in February of 2003, you placed your enormous personal credibility before the United Nations and laid out a case against Saddam Hussein citing...

Powell: Not off.

Emily: No. They can't use it. They're editing it. They (unintelligible).

(At this point, the camera turned from Powel to 'palm tree.')

Powell: He's still asking me questions. Tim.

Emily: He was not...

Powell: Tim, I'm sorry, I lost you.

Russert: I'm right here, Mr. Secretary. I would hope they would put you back on camera. I don't know who did that.

Powell: We really...

Russert: I think that was one of your staff, Mr. Secretary. I don't think that's appropriate.

Powell: Emily, get out of the way.

Emily: OK.

Powell: Bring the camera back, please. I think we're back on, Tim. Go ahead with your last question.

-------------------
Then, interview with McCain.

Russert: Senator McCain, it's the elephant in the room, the story that will not die. This is the front page of The New York Times yesterday. Headline: "Undeterred by McCain Denials, Some See Him as Kerry's No. 2... What do you think of Senator Kerrey's recommendation?

McCain: I'd like to have the camera move over to a palm tree to start with.

(At this moment, everyone cracked up and kept laughing.)
--------------------
(Next, by Biden after McCain categorically denied the Veep position.)

Biden: I think John McCain would be a great candidate for vice president. I mean it. I know John doesn't like me saying it, but the truth of the matter is, it is. We need to heal the red and the blue here, man, the red states and the blue states.... And I think that--I would still urge John Kerry to pick up the phone and call John McCain. He'll say no probably. But I think John Kerry has an obligation to do that for the way he wants to heal. And I know John will listen. He'll say no, but I'm going to tell you, I'm counting on him being a more loyal American than he is a loyal Republican. And, John (McCain), I'm not so sure you're so happy about the Senate. I'd like to see you president instead of the guy we have now.

(God, he is in love...)

McCain: I will always take anyone's phone calls but I will not--I categorically will not do it...

Russert: All right, Biden. McCain is out. Who is in?

Biden: I'm sticking with McCain.

(They cracked again:) )

Russert: What if John Kerry picked his vice president and also said, "I want Joe Biden for secretary of state and John McCain for secretary of defense?"

Biden: Well, if John will do it, I'll do it.

Russert: Senator McCain, do we have a deal?

McCain: No, no. No, no, we don't have a deal.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?