<$BlogRSDUrl$>

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Movie Review 23
Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban (Rating: 4)

As I hoped, Cuaron was much better at directing than Columbus. Still, as I sort of expected, it was not so satisfying me as I wish it could have. Some details are missing, which would definitely confuse those who didn't read the book. Some scenes run so quickly, which would likely leave kids behind. Some characters are gone or cut short such as Oliver Wood, Percy (only his voice I heard), Mr. Filch (was he there?)...

Having said that, I think it was good that the director focused on the main three characters to save time. On the other hand, why should he have shortened the hour to only 2 hours?? If it was 3 hours, it would be much better.

As for characters, they are really changed. The most surprising was Goyle (or Crabbe, which I can't tell). He is not supposed to be that thin and cool. And Hermione is dangerously pretty!!! Very dangerous!! Harry is boring. I thought new Dumbledore was just fine. Prof. Lupin is my favorite character in the book, and the Lupin in the movie is also good. Emma Thompson is bloody funny, but she shows up only for 5 minutes or so. We need Extended Version, yo!!

Compared to Harry 1 & 2, there are also fabulous parts. I was very impressed by the change of Hogwarts. In the 1 & 2, they show just inside of castle or classrooms. But in the Azkaban, we can see the huge 3D angle of Hogwarts school. We can feel the entire structure of the school.

Also interesting was reaction between Hermione and Ron. Cuaron tried to emphasize their 'lovely' relationship although I found it exaggerated. Buckbeak was so COOL!!

OK, it's getting no more review than my damn scrawl.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?